The Football Club
Both East Budleigh teams play in the Devon and Exeter Football League (The Fresha League – A grass roots league of 25 clubs 136 teams and over 3,700 registered players).
East Budleigh’s first team is currently in Division Three and the second team, having folded last season, will be re-entering the league in Division nine. We train every Wednesday at 6:30pm at the clubs grounds on Vicarage Road, East Budleigh. We welcome players of all ages and abilities to come and train and sign on.
The most important asset we look for in a player is his commitment!!
Both teams have a small but loyal bunch of supporters. A weekly Bingo event at the village hall run by the Womens Supporters Group does an amazing job in supporting the club.
The pitch is regarded as one of the best village pitches in the league and is maintained by the clubs groundsman, Richard Slade.
After each game the team gather at The Rolle Arms for food and a beer. The club promotes a social atmosphere and works to build team spirit off the pitch as well as on it.
East Budleigh FC History
East Budleigh Football Club was formally founded in 1926 but the game is known to have been played by the village youth well before that date as shown below with this picture taken in 1906.
In the early days the club played in various fields near the village provided by the local farmers.
The club first played at the Recreation Field in about 1973. In those days the pitch ran up hill and parallel to the Old Vicarage. The ground was levelled in 1979 and the orientation of the pitch changed. Lord Clinton attended the opening and watched the first match against Rockbeare.
In the days before the club had its own pavilion the players changed on the field in a garden shed 8 feet by 4 and then went to the Village Hall to shower in the room that is now the kitchen.
The away teams used this room to change returning the village hall to shower after the game.
The Pavilion was built in the late 70’s with full changing and shower facilities for the home and away teams since. East Budleigh Football Club supplied all funding for the building with the club members erecting all the interior walls and fittings, and also digging the trenches to lay gas, water and sewer pipes down to Vicarage Road.